Clan MacNeil Fast Facts:
- The clan claims to descend from Irish king Niall of the Nine Hostages of the third century.
- The motto is Vincere Vel Mori, which translates to 'Victory or Death.'
- Medieval Kisimul Castle is the seat of the clan's chief.
- The clan was known for pirating in the 1500s.
- Archbishop McNeil would have come from the group of MacNeils who emigrated to Cape Breton in the early 1800s.
In the 1920s, the Clan MacNeil Association of America wrote to Archbishop McNeil to recruit him. Though they were successful with his brother, we're not sure if he actually joined the association.
Though there are many ways to spell MacNeil, all are welcome to join the clan!