|This is the poster we displayed at the Catholic Pastoral Centre. Scroll down for the answers.|
For Archives Awareness Week, we decided to test your knowledge of church buildings in the Archdiocese of Toronto. In addition, we wanted to highlight different types of archival records in our holdings, including photographs, slides, architectural drawings, artistic renderings, promotional materials, and ephemera. And, of course, we hoped to direct more people to our new blog.
Why these ten churches in particular? ARCAT's digitization projects are largely driven by user demand. These are images we had scanned or photographed as a result of duplication requests. The most common digitization orders are from parishes preparing for anniversary celebrations.
And now for the answers...
|Corpus Christi Church, 16 Lockwood Rd.,Toronto|
Front elevation from original set of blueprints, 1926
by J. Gibb Morton, architect
Architectural Drawings Special Collection, ARCH 008C
|Our Lady Queen of the World Church, 10411 Bayview Ave., Richmond Hill|
Slide showing church sanctuary, 1986
Archdiocesan Parish Photographic Survey, PH 78/50
|St. Clare Church, 1118 St. Clair Ave. W, Toronto|
Photograph of front facade, 1963
Photographs Special Collection, PH 0055/19P
|St. Mary Star of the Sea Church, 11 Peter St. South, Port Credit|
Photograph of the new church (foreground) beside the old church (left), 
Photographs Special Collection, PH 0155/07P
|St. Paul's Basilica Church, 83 Power St., Toronto|
Photograph taken from the balcony showing the barrel vaulted ceiling and sanctuary, [undated]
Photographs Special Collection, PH 0093/63CP
|St. John the Evangelist Church, 903 Gifford St., Whitby|
Postcard highlighting the church's cutting edge roof structure, [196-]
Photographs Special Collection, PH 0189/19PC
|St. Basil's Church at the University of St. Michael's College, 50 St. Joseph St.,Toronto|
Print of an engraving by Maclear & Co. Lithographers, 1855; published in Ure's "Handbook of Toronto," 1858.
Photographs Special Collection, PH 0045/15P
|St. Clare of Assisi Church, 150 St. Francis Ave., Woodbridge|
Photograph of bell tower, 2008
ARCAT for Cultural Heritage Pilot Project
|St. James' Church, 2118 Adjala-Tecumseth Townline, Colgan|
Photograph of front exterior, 1963
Photographs Special Collection, PH 0137/23CP